Thursday, June 21, 2012

5 Minute Up-do Tutorial

So, I asked, and you answered! You all wanted more hair and make-up tutorials, so I'll be sure to write them, hopefully one a week. Here's the first tutorial to start things off, a very fun, and simple, up-do. This will take about 5 minutes to do, and would be perfect for work, school, and a huge array of other situations. plus, this is a great way to hide that not so fresh hair that you forgot to wash the night before!


Start with brushed hair. Part it like you normally would, and if you want, put a bit of mousse or hair gel in it. I like to do this style when my hair is dry, but doing it wet would work just as well. Also, ignore the headphones, I listen to music while putting on my make-up and doing my hair.


Take a section of hair in front of your ear, and put it into a hair elastic, like so. Do the same on the other side, and try to get the amount of hair even. Since my hair is so fine, I used more than you should if you have thick hair. Put the rest in a clip at the back of your head to keep it out of the way.


Now, brush out the side ponytails, and pulling them up high, near the temples, braid them. Keep the braid tight to your head, and braid toward the back of your head, like a tiara would sit. You can either French Braid or use a conventional braid, but I like the look of a normal braid best.


You should end up looking  like this from the front. Silly, I know. 


Now, take all that hair from the back of your head, and put it in a ponytail, either high, or low, depending on the length of your braids. If you have long hair, make a lower pony; shorter hair, higher pony. Since may hair is shorter in the front than in the back, I pulled my ponytail up in about the middle of my head.


If you know how to flip a pony, do it now. If not, you make a space with your fingers between your scalp and the hair elastic. Once you've done that, use your fingers to grab the ponytail, and pull it through the opening, then make the ponytail tight again.


Next, you're going to pull your braids, to the back, and use hair pins to pin them right above the flip. Some adjust may need to happen to make sure the braids are even on each side.


Finally, coil the rest of your loose hair, pony and braid ends, into a bun  over the hair elastics, to hide them. I used hair pins to pin it all in place. And voila, you're finished! Pretty, easy, and fast.


Here's the look from the front, with my bangs down. Now you could make a pouf, or twist them to the side, but I prefer a natural bang.


And I finished it off with a clip I made. I hope you all like this! Please let me know what kind of hairstyle you would like to see next, down in the comments..

Love and Lightning Bugs,
Photobucket

10 comments:

The Sweetest Things said...

I love the hair style. Very pretty and sophisticated looking.

East9thStreet said...

Very cool! My hair is so super fine, it typically won't stay in a braid. Maybe if I put a ton of product in it, it would stay??

LaVonne said...

Very nice and not that difficult. Thanks for sharing with us!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

What cool hair. I love it!! Looks pretty!

Unknown said...

This is really cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Very easy to do.

P.S. I love you hair color! :)

Theresa said...

That's really pretty. I don't have long hair but I would try that out if I did. You are really pretty.

Couponing for Freebies said...

I love this! Now if only mine would look that good =)

Gluten Free for Jen said...

That is a really cute hair style sounds so simple to!

Erin Slocum said...

You look a little pippy longstocking-ish in a few of these pictures! LOL my hair would never go for the bobby pins. Might try it with a flexi though!