Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I'm a Vixen on the Weekends

So, Saturday, I spent the entire day dressed as a Kitsune. Because, you know, that's just how I roll. And on Sunday, I did it again, for shits and giggles...and for filming a web-series made by the amazing Airship Vindus.

But I digress.

Copyright Dustin Hawkins
Every year, Old Cowtown Museum in Wichita has their volunteers put away their traditional 1880's clothing, and has them don Steampunk costumes of every style imaginable. The park is always open to the public, but on Steampunk Day, the park is brimming with people clad in brass, bustles, and covered in cogs, gears, and goggles. That's me in the above photo, on the far right. The one with fox ears...

BECAUSE THEY ARE FLUFFY AND I LOVE THEM.

Copyright Carolee Conway
If you don't know what Steampunk is, here's an old post I wrote about the topic. Needless to say, this genre has drawn quite a bit of attention in the past few years, and has in turn become immensely popular with people of all ages. In fact, two of my best friends were met while at a similar event years ago.

Copyright Keith Wondra
As you can see, there is a TON of difference between costumes, and people often take up the role of a character. I myself like to attend as Viviette Crevan, the Kitsune I have written short stories about in the past. It's immense fun to be a different person for a day, and strangely enough, these sort of hobbies, where I dress up in costume, have helped me control my anxiety.


Copyright Keith Wondra
Copyright Jeff Frazell
So next time you hear about a Steampunk event in your local neck of the woods, check that shit out! You have no idea just how much fun, and insane creativity you're missing out on! 

Love and Lightning Bugs,
  Photobucket

No comments: